Saturday, August 9, 2014

Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore

The Abode of Brains

On the 25th day of July, 2014, I reached the Indian Institute of Science, as a BS (Basic Science) student, under their Under Graduate program. I joined the course through the KVPY channel.

Course Description

The BS course offered by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) is a four year course, that aims towards introducing the students to an interdisciplinary approach towards science research. The four year course is completed in eight semesters, among which, in the first three semesters are used to build a fundamental foundation of the subjects Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, Mathematics and Physics. Exposure to Humanities course is made, to make the education complete. In the fourth, fifth and sixth semesters, the students select a Major subject and a Minor to pursue. The seventh and eighth semesters are dedicated towards a project work. More details about the course can be found in the link.

Before I Could Call Myself a Student

On 25th, I came to IISc without a confirmation of admission. I had to wait in the UG office with an extremely tensed heart and held breathe, from 9.00 am to 12.00 am, to finally learn that I was selected for admission to the program. After finishing the payment and other formalities, I was allotted a hostel room to myself. I was both surprised and happy to learn that students get a room for their own usage and they do not have to share it with a room mate. It made me consider a possibility of having attached toilets, but as it appears, my hopes were extremely high. Nonetheless, in spite of the fact that the toilets are for common usage, they are extremely clean and well maintained (and they virtually don't stink at all!). Our mess facilities started from the 1st of August. Until then, we had to satisfy our palatial needs from the three restaurants operating in the campus, namely, Kabini, Nesara and Prakruthi. From 1st August, we could feed ourselves in the mess. The food, thankfully, is quite satisfactory.

Pictorial Tour

Entrance through a vista (without the windows, of course!)
The philosopher's walk

The main building
And he stands, gazing
The undergraduate area

The undergraduate area
The main lecture hall
The abode of the supercomputer, the WiFi epicentre!
The library
The hostel...
...and my corner in it


The toilets (for those who didn't believe me, when I said that they are surprisingly clean)
The hostel office

The mess
The in-campus feeding areas
Kabini
Prakruthi
Nesara (almost qualifies as a restaurant)
My bicycle (life in here is unimaginable, without it!)
An artificial bee hive, found in campus
And the bees in one of its frames! (Important declaration: The girl in the background in not a bee)

Dropping the swag

Overall, the IISc is one of the most beautiful educational institutions in India. Not only is it picturesque, it is a wonder from many perspectives. The people in here, are even more interesting than the institute. I am happy to be a part of it.

8 comments:

  1. I do not know who I am replying to! Still, believe you me, in the picture, my room is clean! You should look at it now! And I mentioned about the girl, just to make things clear to people (heh heh heh). But, yeah, I might need to polish up my sense of humor a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prabaha clean your room now...your bathroom is cleaner than it.. (yeah man you just got scolded by a person you don't recognise)...you do need the polishing by the way. . :-) :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why people like you goes to live in the bathrooms!

      Delete
  3. The bathrooms are heavenly compared to ours! It certainly is a very beautiful place. :) Have fun here, Prabaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, fun is what I am trying to have! But I need to pass my maths test too. Currently, this subject is scaring me a bit!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @prabaha: The photos you have uploaded, they look very familiar!

    ReplyDelete